Super Junior in Singapore

Last weekend I received the privilege of having to watch one of my brother's most favourite K-pop boy bands, Super Junior. If any of my readers do not already know, K-pop stands for "Korean pop". However, to many it is known as "Asian pop". This K-pop phenomenon has suddenly appeared in the space of two years. It has taken Asia by storm. Suddenly the music industry in Korea is making millions more in revenue as soon as such music has spread around Asia. The reason for this phenomenon has eluded from me. The only reason I can think is due to word of mouth.

Whatever the reason might be my brother eventually started listening more and more frequently to such songs due to the many Korean friends he interacts with in our international school. It was then that my dad arranged for us to have Super Junior tickets in Singapore. 

Therefore over the weekend, we had the opportunity to fly back specially to see such a concert. The flight itself was expensive, but portrays how much my dad values his time spent to get the tickets if he thinks such a plane flight was worth it. I thought that it was a little pointless to go to such a concert as we did not know many of the songs by Super Junior. As a result me and my brother had to invest a lot of time to research all the songs that were being sung as a way to add value to our trip to Singapore, to make it a trip more worth going. We found many songs that we liked, but also found many that we found specially peculiar, specially since it was targeted at the opposite sex. 

As soon as we entered the concert hall, we were astounded to see the number of women in it screaming at the top of their lungs. There were few men there and fewer senior citizens, who perhaps attended such a concert as they were given free tickets. However they still enjoyed the concert albeit the fact that they did not know any of the songs. For the first hour or so of the concert, I began to ponder about what was it that made girls tick. I began to wonder why it was that many liked the infamous/ famous book "Twilight" and why many began to fall in love with a Vampire, a creature hated and feared by many only decades ago. It made me wonder why women thought in such an irrational way, and loved a book with an unrealistic and ridiculous storyline (in my opinion). And, especially, why many screamed for a person which was similar to them physically, but only different mentally due to the idolisation of them in the media. 

In other words, this is what I would think about when I became bored. 

However, midway through the concert, the boy band began to interact with the audience more, something which they failed to do in the first half of the concert. As they started playing songs which we recognised and began engaging in activities that I found hilarious,I slowly began to enjoy the concert. Why not? If I made the trip all the way here I must as well enjoy it! 

The concert ended with a bang and was a good experience for me. It brought up many topics that are still ponder about in my free time such as the possible cost arrangement between the band and organisers in Singapore or why women think in such an irrational way (as I had mentioned earlier).  I highly recommend all members going to such a concert and hope that you will have a more enjoyable time than me in the first half! 

Comments

Popular Posts