Poetry in all it's glory

After the recent two week holiday that was bestowed onto the student body of my school, it feels appropriate to apologize for not informing my readers sooner that there was such an event coming up, of which I would be unable to blog. My sincerest apologies. I am a little moved, however, by the few readers who, despite my absence for the past two weeks, never failed to check the blog everyday or every week for the possibility of an update. That there portrays loyalty, a very difficult aspect to find in a person in our current age and era. I will continue to update every week from here on out, and sincerely promise to try to inform you to the best of my abilities if there is an upcoming event which could affect the frequency of my updates on this blog.

Over the past few days, I have grown obsessed with this thing aspect of the English Language called "Poetry", something that I have not known to fully appreciate until now. It all started when my friend started making a poem to his so called "true love". I, being the arrogant student that I am, decided to challenge him to see who would be the better poet. So started the competition. It took me about half an hour to an hour and finally found a vaguely coherent poem. In retrospect, it was probably one of the worst poems I have ever wrote. It was then that I found out how difficult poetry actually is and how addictive it actually is in the end.

What I actually found addictive was the structure of the poem overall. You had to ensure that there weren't to many, or too little, syllables per line so that each line would flow as well as the last. You also had to ensure that it rhymed (although not necessarily, although in my case it was considered a requirement, lest I find it boring) and made sense at the same time, something that was a challenge for me. Furthermore it also gave you an outlet for expressing yourself, as a way of escaping the horrors of reality to go to a world created by you and your language. Additionally you can also go back to the world that you have created, simply by reading the poem all over again. It's really quite enjoyable and gives you an "out of this world" experience.

What a better way to end off my blog post with one of the poems I have written? This is not the first one I have wrote but what I consider one of my best :

The Hillside


The sun slowly sets below the mountain.
And it's a beautiful sight to see.
But below the small white fountain, 
Sit there, you and me. 


Your long dark hair
is the only thing I smell right now. 
Your skin, ever so fair, 
all these make me go "wow"


The way the sun shines on your face, 
makes my heart beat faster than before.
The way god made you with such grace, 
Is too hard to ever ignore.


The mountain ridge, the small cities,
are all too much to take in. 
The animals, the butterflies, the little pretties, 
being able to see this makes it feel like a sin.


Now I'm back from the city, away from you. 
But I'll never forget the feelings we used to share. 
I close my eyes and can feel the drops of dew. 
I close my eyes and once again, I'm back there... 
With you.

Comments

Popular Posts