American Stereotypes- Arrogance?

My father, a man of salience, has often talked about current affairs with his many associates if he were to invite them for dinner or meet any of them at a social function. It is for this reason that I have begun reading the news daily on the internet as it not only gives me a better idea of the world around me, but also is a good conversation starter among the more mature associates that I converse with from time to time. I now read from the BBC although concerns have been brought up by friends that the news agency could, and most probably would have, omitted some information or facts concerning particular topics mentioned due to the fact that the BBC a government-run organisation. However I digress. What I do notice on the homepage is that there are often articles found concerning American politics, recently established American prohibitions or random instances found  pertaining to irregularities in climate in America.

I was delighted to hear that my cousin from Chicago was coming to Singapore this summer and that our times in Singapore overlapped with one another. This basically meant that I could meet up with her. I was excited about meeting the cousin that I only saw once or twice a year. What I usually did however, was to ask her about her life in America and clear up all stereotypes I had developed over American television movies. I asked about the stereotypes of schools found in regular Chick-Flick movies and about what the regular American environment looks like. I also tried to access her behavior or changes since we last met, assuming that this change was due to the American influence of her peers. She portrays angelic behavior with relatives and usually has very upright and just morals. She is currently a girl of fourteen years of age, and it is because of this fact that I have the suspicion that this is rarely the character she exhibits among her peers, although I will grant her the benefit of the doubt. 

One thing that did stand out about her character was found when I was about to play badminton with her. She had the habit of proclaiming her prowess of the sport to my two younger brothers and mother in the car although they didn't seem to be annoyed like I was. It was then that I took pleasure in trashing her at the sport. I was a little disappointed by the fact that what she was speaking only a few minutes earlier was only trash talk and nothing of the truth. At the time she looked to be and probably was at the time very sincere , despite the fact that she did not undergo any form of training. She also stated that she was about to audition for the school team in badminton, which took place three weeks after the new semester began. She did not plan to have any training before hand, nor did she take any tips from me at the time about her form or habits in badminton, although I must admit that I could have seemed like a charlatan at the time. Nevertheless I did have some valuable information which would no doubt boost her chances in the sport if she did listen to them, which she failed to do. My brothers are perhaps living proof of the fact; I could see their attitude towards badminton getting more serious and their steps being more quickly and agile due to my tips and training. 



This has led me to believe that the Americans are a little arrogant when it comes to their self-esteem or their country; a conclusion of which had also been influenced to me by prejudices when meeting with Americans at rare times and probably the media. However, this conclusion can be reinforces by reasoning. America was viewed as one of the most developed countries in the world and the country that everyone wanted to go to prosper during the industrialization period . This could, in turn, develop an arrogance in the citizens of America, especially when the government and mayors have ingrained the thought in the heads of its people that "America is the richest, smartest, and overall the best country in the world". This arrogance does not necessarily have to be a bad thing; many could use this ingrained thought to portray themselves as the perfect American to the rest of the world. However, over the years, America has grown complacent, and could perhaps think that it doesn't matter what they do; they're already at the top. 

What many Americans fail to realize is that there are many countries already catching up. China, India, South Korea, Japan... These countries are on the rise, and are already beating America in the standard of education among its youths. This would, over time usurp the power that America already has. This would then make America look arrogant, without any statistics or raw numbers to confirm what they could have stated about their country, something that is already happening in Asia, specifically, to me and the many other youths who live here. We know that Asia is on the rise economically and that we're in the right place, at the right time.

I can't say that this is the reason for the behavior of my cousin and what I have written two paragraphs ago is fact. It definitely not true that all Americans are a little arrogant and tend to express it a lot, it is just the perception I have from the prejudices of American society, of which my cousin is a member of. I will continue to think about this, for I will always try to find justice in the way I think of America; however, this is my opinion at the moment and I am happy to express it with my readers. Please do not take offence my dear American readers, this is my opinion from a mere fifteen year old Singaporean that I wish to share with the world...

Matthew Tan

Comments

Popular Posts