My return to Jakarta- Irrationality

It's amusing yet interesting at the same time the moment you start to take a step back and start to think rationally, as if time slows and you start to look at things the way it really is instead of moving on blindly due to the natural irrationality of the human brain. Sometimes it's the irrationality that keeps you alive and sometimes it makes us do brainless and absurd actions that we never thought we would, or could, ever commit. Nevertheless it is something that we all live with and can't get rid of. Sometimes we want to do something irrational, something spontaneous to make our lives worth living. However, there are times in your life where you have to make a big decision which will change the way you will look at things, or the things you look at. With a new job, you might not be seeing the Singapore skyline, instead you will be looking at the hills and mountains of New Zealand or the noisy traffic of New York. You are sad to leave your old job, but you know you have to move on.

With me being only halfway in my teenage life, I fortunately do not have to make such decisions at the present moment but whatever the big decision is, you pick it and you start to look at things differently; to start enjoying the things you once took for granted. My brothers constantly have a glimpse of what that concept feels like when they had to leave Singapore today. For the past few days leading to the event my brothers started to spend more time with my family members residing in Singapore. My grandparents and household dog never had more attention during the duration of our stay there until those few days. They started to cherish what they had left behind in Singapore. The fresh air, the safety and the good food. They ate every meal as if it was their last and walked on the streets as if they were the most protected person on Earth. No need to be inconspicuous- you wouldn't have to be in the first palce in Singapore.

This was the irrational part of my brothers; they never wanted to leave Singapore. However, the rational me knew that we had to. We were playing games every single day and never paid any attention to my education and I felt as if my self-imposed omniscience image was slowly fading away (slight hint of arrogance there) and that knowledge was slowly seeping out of my brain, through the ear and into the air. I had to go back to Jakarta for my education- learning never stops; whether you like it or not you should learn something new everyday and that was something I aimed to do during the holidays. Unfortunately, looking at the time elapsed since the beginning of this holiday, I had perhaps failed to do so.

Of course I wanted to stay- the irrational, logical side of me told me so. But the rational, logical side told me to go. And of course, in this case you would have to go with the rational side of your brain.

How about you my dear readers? Is there anything you have dread doing because of your irrationality but have to do because it is rationally good for you? Doing a sport maybe? (I know I have)

Blogging from Jakarta,
The Singaporean Blogger

Comments

Popular Posts