High Emotional Intelligence?

Another busy day goes by, and I rarely get to see the fruits of my labour in a working environment, where I am to work almost all of the time to be as productive as one can possibly be. As usual I try my best to present myself as the omniscient entity that I perceive myself as during meetings or conferences which I attend to. What really shocked me today was the fact that I was complimented on one of the things which I try to avoid; My Emotional Intelligence. The compliment had been administered to me by no other than a teacher, who has not thought me for over two years. However she remembers me in the form of my brothers who attend her class, something that I am thankful for since I had never particularly excelled in the subject, of which largely involved cooking. However she still attends the meetings that I usually attend, particularly the Student Council meetings. It is there that my true omniscient form shows up as I am consistently bombarded with trivial ideas which are dry and are easy to manipulate to your advantage. As a friend of mine and me agree on "Put your speech in such a way that what you say looks to be true and right in your perspective, and no one will ever challenge you." And so far, I have lived by those words and have soon yet to see its disadvantages.


"Put your speech in such a way that what you say looks to be true and right in your perspective, and no one will ever challenge you."

It was after the meeting that the compliment was issued towards me, which really surprised me because I don't tend to look at the moral issues of the school. As the son of an economist, I try my very best to take moral issues out of the way as long as they do not have a direct effect on the topic being discussed. She said to me, and I quote "I really like the way you operate in these meetings Matthew, you have high Emotional Intelligence". I have thus spent the rest of the day pondering of the issue, since I have seen no way in which any of the comments I have spoken today are in anyway based on emotions. Could it be that on some fundamental level, my words have a sense of emotion to them? On the other hand, could the teacher have interpreted the words that I have spoken incorrectly?

It is something that bothers me, although I can't say I'm not flattered. Perhaps I do put moral issues into the things I say. Could that necessarily be a bad thing? Perhaps not. As the perfect student one must try and be high in both Intelligence Quotient (IQ) and Emotional Quotient (EQ), something that my father has mastered, although I like to accentuate the fact that I am higher in my level of intellect than the latter compared to my dad. If not now then assuming that we are at the same age.

Cheers from Jakarta.

Matthew Tan

Comments

Popular Posts