Christmas Morning

It is unfortunate that as you start to mature, you start to look at things more cynical and cannot thus just be purely happy at the event of something. In this case, Christmas day. As you start to realise the pain and misery in the world around you, you feel guilty at even having a day of indulging when your life is already so much more privileged than others not to far away. It is because of this that I try my very best to already enjoy these days as much as possible, for in the future I will have no idea how it will go.

As usual we had our Christmas dinner the day before, however it was a little disappointing upon realising that  I will not see any of my younger relatives as they have moved to another country under circumstances similar to mine or are sick or not in physical condition to pay the rest of the family a visit. My distant relative invited his own relatives in turn, making the dinner atmosphere not having the cozy feeling that I am so used to before. But hopefully, there will be a down to every up, and that other Christmases in the future will be twice as enjoyable to make up for this one, or the one not too long ago when we spent the whole day driving to Malacca in Malaysia which will typically be a one and a half our long journey. However due to a traffic jam, it took the whole day. Therefore at that point I could have rightfully said that I spent Christmas day in a car.

I did find something phenomenal today when I started to open presents. Due to the poor attendance during dinner the night before, there were little presents found under the tree. However as I opened every present, I started to have visions as I started to see into the lives of the people offering me those presents, and how much effort has been put into making the present. I feel both honored and loved at the same time upon knowing that my relatives have utilised their time to make me happy.

How about you my dear readers? Did you get anything special for Christmas? Let me know.

Merry Christmas,
Matthew Tan

Comments

Popular Posts