Emotions

I awoke this morning with adrenaline slowly draining from my bloodstream. The dream that I had that night was probably something that I will never forget. What was most memorable about it was not the contents of the dream itself, but how the dream made me feel.

In the dream, I was in a funeral, looking upon the dead body of which used to belong to a loved one. She was not my relative, rather she was my wife or at the very least my girlfriend; nevertheless she was someone which I really loved despite not being related in blood to her. As I went through the proceeds of the funeral I started to live through the flashbacks and all the time we spent together and all the adventures we had. Towards the end of the dream, I felt very sad and starting crying rather heavily. It is hard to have lost the one you love and as the flashback came to a close, I woke up.

Although the dream was probably induced by a cliche drama scene that I often see in my favourite animes, I was surprised at the two potent emotions that I experienced in the duration of the dream, true love and pure sadness.

Nature is truly amazing, and one of the most amazing thing that I have ever seen in humans is the fragility of emotions. Emotions are strongly controlled by chemical reactions in the brain and it is amazing how those were possibly released during the duration of my dream to induce the feelings that I had for a person who, upon retrospect, was faceless; I had no recognition of the girl  at all.

Emotions are fragile, we experience them in our dreams and we can induce feelings for someone we have not yet met. Even among people my age there are those who 'fall in love at first sight' when, using reason, we see no traits that cause any attraction at all other than appearance, and the fact that you have such strong feelings based on appearance is unjustifiable.

If you watched the movie  Robocop (which I strongly advise you not to watch if you haven't). The feelings of the person within the robot were all controlled by injections of chemicals into his brain. Similarly, would it be possible to one day control the feelings of yourself based on chemical reactions? If so how would morality come into this?



Fruit for thought.

Cheers,
Matthew Tan

Comments

Popular Posts