Leadership roles

The time has come for the reelection of one of the biggest leadership roles in my school, the senior council. With many diehard Singaporeans in my school, at least 60 people have applied for 10 spots. That's a third of the student body! It was such a surprise to find myself passing through the first round of candidacy, which was a endorsement from a teacher. I felt touched to find that despite being here for such a short period of time, already teachers are willing to put their trust in me to be able to cope with my studies and the possible responsibilities of a senior council member.

However, the second round proves to be much tougher than the first. The next round is our opportunity to appeal to the masses in the form of a two minute speech. Then all that is left is the voting, which many people state is also known as the "popularity vote". This is based on the assumption that a two minute speech will not be able to sway the crowds but it is the small actions of everyday life that becomes a bigger factor in such votes. I think that is a good assumption to follow as it is most likely to be true. However believing that assumption would mean that I am already halfway towards failure. I have prepared for the two minute speech that I am about to give tomorrow and I must say that I am nervous not particularly because of the fact that I would be talking to about 200 people, but because of the fact that this speech is the only hope I will ever have into getting into the council. I have done no campaigning whatsoever. Although I fundamentally blame it all on my laziness and my sense of hopelessness into ever making into the council, I shall ultimately say that my brand of magic cannot be said purely on paper, but has to be heard in my speech the next day. Unlike my old school, my brand of narcissism and reputation would not be able to guarantee me a place of influence, especially after being here for such a small time, thus the hopelessness.

I only write to you today just to get rid of this feeling of unease that lies within me, the feeling of unease which I blame for not being able to do my homework. Before all important events, I usually tell myself that "I have practiced as much as I can, what I will do tomorrow will happen, and from that point on I cannot change what I wish I could today"

How about you readers? What do you do when you are nervous?



Cheers,
Matthew Tan

Comments

Popular Posts