Appearance and Impressions

In my free time (yes, it is possible to get some free time in Singapore, albeit not much) I like to walk by my lonesome to explore a bit of Singapore. I go to nowhere special in particular, but I do notice the different things that people wear in Singapore. Based on what people wear, it is very easy to see which part of the city you are in. Although I haven't realised it, it is possible the same for many other countries as well: Formal clothing in the CBD areas, fancy clothes in the city and very informal clothes in the suburbs (which many refer to in Singapore as the homelands). Those in couples often wear very fashionable clothes outside the house and the older folk tend not to care at all. 

As I grow into adulthood (trying as slowly as possible though) I find that I get embarrassed around the opposite sex more and more as I wear socially unacceptable clothing to a social event. With a small range of fashionable clothes to wear, I find the need to begin shopping by myself once and for all without the presence of my mother (my clothes are all at least 3 years old so don't get the impression that I have only begun to stop shopping with my mother; I never started shopping with her since then). I need to find clothes to be at least acceptable, at the very most impressive, to the opposite sex or adults in the case of a formal event. 

One thing that I consider myself very capable at is body language. In a world where you deal with more and more influential people (especially in my father's case considering his status), body language remains very important, for it shows hidden dominance, which many refer to as 'aura'. When people say that "this guy gives off a powerful aura", they basically mean that you are giving of a dominating body language. I've read many books about body language and try as much as possible to give off a dominant 'aura', something that many students or even adults lack. It is because of this that you can win over the crowd easily; body language is strongly a political thing. This is one of the key factors why I managed to get elected as senior council and why another candidate, who gave out a completely wrong body language message, lost the elections (not to say that her speech was amazing as well).

In Singapore, many people have an issue with walking. Many fail to give out that dominating aura. Rather it remains to be a very lazy, tired and weak walk. If you are in Singapore, I implore you to look around you and notice these things. What should be a good way to walk? What kind of impression do you want to give?

In a world where appearances matter, it's important to keep up in terms of fashion and body language. It's not only the first impression that we are hoping to give, but every impression after as well. Therefore be sure to keep up your appearance, and continue to work on your body language, as well I will do as well.


Cheers,
Matthew Tan

Comments

Popular Posts