First Aid with the Red Cross

The main reason why I was so preoccupied during the majority of the week was because I was attending an 18 hour First Aid course with the red cross over the course of only two days. There were 8 topics, 4 of which were learnt in a day. After much preparation with the little time we had, many of my schoolmates managed to make it past the test with marks of flying colours, myself included. I would then be given my first aid licence, which would certify me to give first aid to a casualty.

However, much of what we learn in class is nothing compared to what we would be doing in the field (if we ever have to do it). There would be screaming, a lack of medical equipment and a race against time to save a person's life. Working with the Red Cross helped me realise that these things are not exclusive to few countries. There are many people around the world who may choke on food or suffer cardiac arrest and there are few people in the world that can do something other than just stop and stare, whether you are living in a HIC or LIC. Accidents do happen, and all of us should expect it and make preparations.


If you are not already learning first aid, I suggest you start.

Either than that my week remained relatively uneventful. There are many things that I need to do, and I will be busy for the rest of the week either doing charity service, revision or church work. The life of a Singaporean remains busy.

I wish you the best of luck for your days ahead, and hope the week wasn't as stressful and hectic as mine.

Cheers,
Matthew Tan

Comments

Popular Posts