Lack of sleep

As time goes on, I find that I get less and less sleep. In the past it was due to me trying to get more work done in preparation of my IGCSE exams. Despite not doing as much work as I have done in the past, I still cannot comprehend the fact that I have absolutely nothing to do. At the end of the day I fall asleep at 12pm or 11pm and only end up getting about 6 hours of sleep while doing nothing due to my lack of homework and lack of motivation to study anything new. It is a shame that one loses his or her motivation to study as soon as you don't see people less fortunate than yourself. In Indonesia, you can see the effects of not studying. You slowly descend into the poverty cycle and to a point where corruption keeps you poor. In Singapore however, you see people partying or smoking underaged and end up with a better life than you due to their parental background or the fact that Singapore tends to care more for the poor than Indonesia does for the poor. It does make life unfair, so why study in the first place? Of course, this is not a healthy mindset to keep in mind and I do try as much as possible to study, but it's hard to not come to that conclusion. However, as I always do, I digress.

Now sleeping late has become more of a habit, an obsession rather than a choice. It seems as if I feel more happier falling asleep at night knowing that in the time that I didn't sleep I did something more important when in reality, all I did was watch videos till the dark of night.

What I find even sadder is that people still consider my sleeping times early. There are still friends of mine that sleep at 2 or 3 in the morning, catching only three or two hours of sleep everyday. This has to change. Not a lot of people, myself inclusive, understand the importance of sleep and how we need it to keep functioning. In a world of science where anything seems possible, sleep continues to be a limiting factor to progress. If there was someway that I could keep going without any sleep and continue maintaining bodily functions and cognitive thinking I would, no matter how unnatural the idea may seem.

Nevertheless I will sleep early today (10pm at most) and I expect you, my dear readers. To do the same. There is nothing more important throughout your whole life than sleep. That I can assure you.



Cheers,
Matthew Tan

Comments

Popular Posts