The fault in our Christmas

Despite Christmas being such a wonderful time of the year, I find that the excitement that I had as a child is slowly fading away as I get older. I am able to get more things with my own money instead of waiting for a 'Christmas present opportunity'. If it is too expensive for me I can ask my parents and, with the correct persuasion, I can get whatever I ask for thinking that I am mature enough to not spoil myself. Yes it is true that my parents spoil me and I suppose many of you may feel the same way. Therefore I try to ask for as little as possible, and hope that they have a more strict attitude when it comes to me buying things. Unfortunately, the latter fails to be a reality.

The excitement of the present is also gone. Partly because of the excuse above but also because your family members want to buy you something that you actually remember. To reduce the chances of you 'getting a present only to never use it', your family members will ask you what you want for Christmas which, although a very nice thought, ruins the surprise. The present which, although it may not be the present that I want, is the present which you have bought thinking of me which gives me much more satisfaction personally and emotionally. Even the generic 'T-shirt' or 'book voucher' would be very heart warming. And of course I will use it!

One thing that has changed during Christmas time that I like a lot is the idea of sharing. Right now I buy Christmas presents for my family and for my closest of friends. It also teaches me how much each item cost and allows me to consider how much it would cost for them as they often buy a present much more valuable than the ones that I buy. I suppose that even though the presents might be a big bummer as the years pass, the Christmas spirit grows within me. I still like the specially prepared food, I still like seeing the family, only this time the spirit of giving within me grows ever so  strongly.



Cheers,
Matthew Tan

Comments

Popular Posts