Why I like Shanghai - Part 1

I was hoping to be able to write blog posts while I was in Shanghai during the holidays. Little did I realise that China not only blocks out Youtube and Facebook but also Google. This of course led me to feel internet deprived despite having relatively decent wifi at the hotel. Denied access to Facebook meant that I had no opportunities to update or check my Instagram and my only active social media software. No access to Google also meant that I had no access to Youtube, Gmail and most importantly, my Blogger. However I digress. This was all used as an excuse for me being unable to deliver on my weekly promises.

Shanghai by far is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Of course, there are many statistics that I can bring up to explain why it is also one of the best cities in the world. But of course, I am here to write about my personal reasons rather than demographics and what not.

I already saw something curious during the flight. On the flight, as we were descending, I expected to, like in many countries, to find tall buildings and skyscrapers or at the very least large patches of land lit up to the extent that I could identify certain buildings (like sports complexes), Instead I spotted some very strange rivers, exposed only due to the dark contrast.I found them to be glowing. Of course, being a South East Asian, I was being told constantly since I was a child that "China is such a horrible place. The people are mean and everything is polluted" and although it was an irrational thought, the first thing that came into my head was that these were rivers, polluted beyond saving. What I soon realised was that these "rivers" were actually roads, lit up by dim orange lights. I found this image to be rather surreal. In any other country I was in the shade of orange was much brighter and the dim light makes it look as if the roads were natural; like they sprung up from the small patches of dark surrounding it.

Bewitched by the sight I saw, I was compelled to take a photo of what I saw right out that window.

Although hard to explain the feeling, this was my first magical moment of Shanghai.

Comments

Popular Posts