The power of dreams

Last night I had a rather peculiar dream. Within the dream I was a detective (those days watching Gotham and Sherlock while playing LA Noire must have left a bigger impact than I had originally thought) who just started dating a girl I knew from my past in Jakarta. What was strange was that within the dream I had dated the girl before and me dating her again was a second attempt at a relationship. She also produced pictures of the first time I met her, something that moved me at that point in time. I could remember the first time I met her so very vividly.

I woke up and realised multiple things:

  1. That woman who I 'dated' within the dream was an ex-girlfriend of one of my best friends and possibly one of the worst girlfriends that he ever had.
  2. I have never dated that girl.
  3. We had no such history of meeting nor any history of taking photos together. 
  4. Throughout the years she has been more and more unattractive. She gained weight and started to smoke. She started failing and so far her future seems bleak. However at the time that she dated my friend, she was not that bad looking.
This really shocked me because in the dream I was fully convinced that these memories were mine. It only goes to show you how powerful your mind is and how it is able to convince yourself that you had memories that you never made despite me being able to make my own decisions in the dream... or was that just another illusion?

Another thing that shocked me was that I had never talked to the girl more than a few minutes at a time despite her being the girlfriend of my best friend and, if I had to pick a girl to date, it would not be her. I have no relation to that girl and the fact that she appeared in my dream is somewhat strange.

Nevertheless the part that I was most touched with was that throughout the whole experience, I remembered the time when I considered her the most beautiful. At the time I perceived her to be a happy and cheerful girl and a person who tried to study hard to become the best that she could be (except for the fact that she did not score very well in any of her exams) and at the end of the day that is what I consider the most important: that whether people spend their whole lives with you or a few days, you remember them when they were the most beautiful.

Cheers,
Matthew Tan

Comments

Popular Posts