The furthest distance ran

One of my close friends invited me to go running with her during the recent weekend at the McRichie Reservoir Park, a park very close to home. Knowing that I had rejected her many times on the basis that "I don't run in the morning", which I find to be a pretty lame excuse, I finally consented to joining her on her run.

Knowing that her father has invited me to join his running group since the beginning of last year, I assumed that everyone was going to run with the group instead of individually. Little did I realise that her friends that she also invited didn't feel the same way and as a result dragged her off onto a different running track instead, leaving her family behind to run with another group.

Of course, my primary aim was to get fit in the process and I was determined to stick to it. As a result I joined the group for their weekly run. What I failed to realise was the fact that these people ran 11 kilometers every week. I was about to run the furthest distance of my life.

The furthest I had ever ran was during the 10 kilometer race in Jakarta over two years ago. However much it was regarded a 'race', I ran the first five kilometers and walked the next five. This time, I was made to jog the whole thing. 

What I found really interesting was the feeling of camaraderie between these people. They knew nothing about each other and are connected solely by their love for running. My friend's dad, having not joined the group for at least half a year due to an injury was chatting away, enjoying his time with his friends while running. The jog itself was quite enjoyable, especially when there was a huge transition from a jungle path to a giant plain. Of course, this was Singapore, and there are no such thing as 'plains'. But I probably got the next best thing, which was a golf course that was along the running track itself. 

The run became slightly more torturous around the 5 kilometer mark, but soon after that the torture subsided, and my muscles began working on automatic, moving on its own and on its own accord. As time went on, the uphills became the hardest thing to climb, and the downhills became ever so desired. But finally, I had managed to finish the course, stopping at least a few more times towards the end to catch my breath.

I was pretty proud of myself that day. I ran 11 kilometers without stopping as much as I was used to. Although I was the last in a crowd despite being the youngest of these people, I felt exhausted and happy. I even got the aches to prove muscle growth in the process. Unfortunately I forgot about the micro cuts, and I'm suffering from a series of them on the thigh. Hopefully they will be gone by next week so I can join them then.

My dear readers, if you are living nearby McRichie feel free to join this group for a run! We always assemble in the parking lot around 7am every Saturday.


Cheers,
Matthew Tan

Comments

Popular Posts