The Nepalese Earthquake question

Despite it being in the news for so long, I feel that the coverage over the Nepalese Earthquake is insufficient, especially because the way that the disaster is being dealt with, which is so badly done as well as the curious response of the people.

When I talk about Nepal, all I hear is the pity towards the victims. However it comes to a shock when I tell them that people are protesting in certain areas of Nepal and blocking roads to restrict certain supplies to travel to other areas of the country. Their shock is my curiosity. I find it very strange to me. I find that usually the goodness of people come out in these moments and it is very interesting to know that fury has come to the victims, the ones that other parts of the world are helping. Be thankful for whatever help they are given, for the kindness they receive, and so on... Isn't that the virtues that everyone is born with?

What is also strange is how people are quick to accept that this is the normalcy and it is ok for them to be angry for what they do not have. If that were so, should every impoverished individual be out in the streets trying to cause chaos?

However, a riot is caused only by a handful of individuals, and the power of the bandwagon is very tempting follow. This is so especially when you are now unemployed, have no food and have nothing to do. Granted, even I may protest in such circumstances, but I am blessed to not have been put in such a situation.



At the moment I wonder as to how many times this has occurred in history, and if so why no book I have read on behavioral studies reflect this issue that seems so apparent to me at the moment. I hope that eventually I will read about this in the next ten years and this phenomenon be addressed properly. I'll be 30 by then (man I'm old).

Fruit for Thought

Cheers,
Matthew Tan

Comments

Popular Posts