Positive Psychology

I have been stuck in a rut recently, and it seems to me that I failed to follow my own advice when I wrote "The Secret to Happiness".

I tried to count the things I should be happy about. I have a stable family life, a reason to live and a lot of friends that I can rely on. But still something in me remained empty. Although this feeling is normal in many people, I don't feel that it should be natural. I soon realised that the way I feel is not because of any negative things that have happened in my life, but it is my negative way of thinking.

Almost immediately I picked up books on positive psychology, a branch of psychology that has only recently been studied (to the point that often positive psychologists quoted the same experimental results and statistics) and found some amazing results. It was stated within the book that depression can hit people already at an age of 14.5 years old due to the recent pressures of study. The book itself does not say "don't study at all" as many might interpret, but rather it is based on the way we view studying. Is it because we think " I need to get the grades to get to Harvard. I need to grades to get to Harvard" or is it "I think this topic is very interesting, it would be nice to learn more about it at a top class university"?. This mindset has to be cultivated since young, but unfortunately many Harvard students have been born with a shirt saying "Born for Harvard" and have been given the pressure to get there. As a result 4 in 5 students in Harvard are suffering from depression, or have been close to clinical depression at least once in their academic careers.

The book also quotes ways to be happy, and I think that is what I need the most. There are definite ways to make you happy. Exercise is one of them. Aside from the endorphin released, it also cultivates a sense of self-esteem as you see yourself getting better and better at a sport that you now do regularly and as your body becomes more and more fit.

One thing I learned today is to learn to stop and smell the flowers. Listen to what people tell you. Whether it is a scolding or advice, I stopped to look into the eyes of the person speaking and focusing on every word said. After all, effort was spent on you, the least you can do is pay attention right?

I will continue reading my book entitled the Happiness Advantage by Shawn Anhor. I do recommend it: it is a good read.



If I find anything more interesting I will be sure to post more studies done on positive psychology in the near future.

Cheers,
Matthew Tan

Comments

Popular Posts