Have I ever told you the definition of insanity?

There are many quotes in my life that I enjoy. From quotes from intellectuals:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" ~ Einstein

To quotes from authors:

"Just remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off" ~ Derrolyn Anderson 

But one of my favourite quotes comes from the game Far Cry 3:

"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is? Insanity is doing the exact... same fucking thing...over and over again expecting... shit to change... That. Is. Crazy"

And I must admit that I was pondering over this quote for a long long time. I could not tell whether this quote was genius or utter lunacy.

I say this because our lives are set on routine biologically. If something happened spontaneously every day, we probably wouldn't like it either. Like it or not, we don't want change, and we would rather do the exact same thing every day... over and over again.

But then comes the second clause: "expecting shit to change".
Does anything occur in our lives that we do every day but has no change? The first thought I had was 'school' but that's not necessarily true. I learn something new every day (whether I like to admit it or not", and with every day that passes I am one step closer to getting my diploma. So this expectation is validated: I work towards something that will cause a change in my life.

Still confused by what this quote meant, I started to try and see things in my life that applied to this quote. It was only a sunday morning that I finally found it.

Going to church.

Think about it.



Fruit for thought.
Cheers,
Matthew Tan

Comments

Popular Posts