Memories

It's been a week after the mock exams, and although there are a few more weeks before the finals I feel myself get into a lull. I can't do any work, and whenever I do get to doing work I find this nauseating feeling in my stomach. I'm in need of a break before the holidays have arrived, which is not a good thing.

As my IB career ends, I feel myself getting more in touch with my memories. I lay in bed and remember the good things that have happened in my life, whether it was the small get together I had with my friends during the weekend or the first time I went out to have fun in Singapore. The first time I met some of my friends during the admissions exam before I came into this school or the first time I brought a girl home to see my family. These were all good and bad memories, but nevertheless has made my life colourful.

But in my darkest times, I stay alone, scared that the world would see a different side of me that they haven't seen before. But there are friends who are with me when I do reach out a hand, and I feel that these people will stay with me through thick and thin, whether I'd like it or not (although I'm pretty sure I will be the former).

Now that you have read this ask yourself: how can you ever be in the mood to study after feeling this way? After reviewing all the memories and remembering ones you think that you have forgotten? This is the exact feeling that I am having right now. And when trouble comes, I go back to them.

But I suppose that the reason why we work hard is to protect those memories. We want to be able to be able to relive them again and again, and perhaps that it what makes life worth living after all. And after graduation, most will leave, but the real friends will stay. Unfortunately I don't know who they will be. We may talk to them now but it is only when friendship is put to the test do you find out who the real ones are, and I do hope that the world will treat me kindly.

But nevertheless we thread on, unwinding the thread we call memory so that we can always backtrack the way we have walked through just to remember the view.



Cheers,
Matthew Tan

Comments

Popular Posts