Discipline vs laziness

Aside from my job, there are times when I am free. I enjoy the free time playing games, eating, playing instruments and reading the occasional book (of which the one I am reading is very hard to interpret, considering it is a translated book as well). But I slowly find myself getting more plump and my brain slowly dying as I read less and less and eat more and more. My exercise routine last year proved to be insufficient, and slowly I feel my shirt shrinking. Many a time I find the need to go exercise, only to end up staying at home to play games or to read a book instead. A balance needs to be reached, but for the first time in my life no one is pushing me to do something or telling me what to do: for once in my life I am fully independent.

I like to say that everything is a double edged sword. In this case it is free time, independence and freedom, all of which I have at the moment. Am I making good use of the time? What would be considered good use of time? As John Lennon said "Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time", as I had mentioned a few posts ago. At the moment, what am I working towards? What is the next objective for me? For once in my life nobody tells me that it's another test, or it's another topic I have to learn. Sure university is the next step, but that only takes place in a few months time after the application process has finished and I only go in two years from then.

I suppose my life now is a battle between the two concepts of laziness and discipline. The book I am reading is tough, but will prove to be useful in terms of general knowledge in the future. Sure I want to play games all day, but that serves nothing but to make me fatter and my English worse. Every day proves to be a battle between the two, and I suppose I hope that discipline wins, for the sake of my easy adjustment into National Service.



Cheers,
Matthew Tan

Comments

Popular Posts