Making new friends outside of camp

Last week was quite a bad week for me in camp. There was much to do and little time to do it, and with everyone tiring out and slowing down many were punished, even after being a trainee. As a result everyone is trying to extend their time outside in camp just to relax for a little while longer. There are offs and leaves to clear, and some are spending just a few days just to make life in camp a little more tolerable again. Unfortunately for me, I only receive my off days perhaps on Monday which forces me to go back to camp even if it is possible to take leave a few days from then within the week, which I am counting on.

There is a book which one has to sign upon leaving and entering the camp, "booking out" and "booking in" respectively. As such, booking out is everyone's favourite word, and booking out is everyone's most hated word. For me, I find that word particularly dreadful, especially considering that this weekend has been one of the most enjoyable ones I have had in a long time, perhaps considering that there was such a contrast this week between being in camp and being outside. Nevertheless I try to make it as painless as possible, bringing in tv shows to watch and games to play whenever there is a little slot of spare time and when I am not tired enough to jump on my bed to fall asleep straight away.

With me being too tired (and trying to save money during this period of income), I try to stay at home and spend as little money as possible. I communicate solely through text and emails and skype calls, which is not as bad as one may think. My friends, having a similar mindset, do the same, making our weekends a weekly ritual of fun and laughter. This weekend I got to meet a new set of friends on Telegram, linked together by our love for the game Werewolf, of which the software just got released on the platform.

For me, making friends in an online environment is very new to me. I never truly made friends with people online, and being in the army also means that there are very little outlets of which people are forced to be together to get to know one another face to face. I think this is therefore a new outlet that I will explore into in the future. In the meantime, this is just a small update from me, and I do hope that this week will not be as bad as the last.


Cheers,
Matthew Tan

Comments

Popular Posts