The Flash, at least in reading

Oftentimes, as I'm sure many of my readers have done, I love to imagine myself with super powers which can be useful in every day society. In reality I don't suppose super strength, or the ability to pass through walls will be very useful unless your profession requires a particular set of skill set such as being able to lift heavy things or when time is of absolute constraint and detouring just to go through a door can be a huge difference in your work productivity. However I digress.

Recent films and TV shows have glorified superheroes with super speed and processing ability quite a lot recently, with the Avenger's and XMen's depictions of quicksilver and DC's illustrations of The Flash, leaving little up to imagination. I feel that it is important to digress here to illustration the difference between super speed and processing ability. Having super speed is very similar to being able to run at the speed of a airplane along a runway. If there was an obstacle a hundred meters away that you did not see, you would almost surely not be able to react in time running at such a speed to avoid it. However super processing ability allows your brain to 'slow down' your interpretation of time, thus allowing you to see things in slow motion. Although super speed can be good, if I had to pick one I would surely pick the ability to see things in slow motion. Imagine being able to catch food the way that Toby McGuire did in the first Spiderman instalment in the canteen, much to the amazement of Mary Jane Watson. Imagine being able to read a book really fast or, in your point of view, being able to read a book with little time spent. I do not have the ability to do that and I don't feel that the ability with spring up anytime soon, but I do feel that I have read really quickly over the past few days. 

With more things to do in camp and with my average reading pace for a book being about a book every two weeks, I'm quite impressed that over this week I managed to read three books. None of which were very easy reads, but admittedly not as thick as the books that I am typical to reading. Over this week I read the books:
  • The Art of War by Sun Tzu
  • No Longer Human by Osamu Dazai
  • The Greatest Show on Earth by Richard Dawkins (read partially the week before)
and thus I just wish to write about this achievement this week, if anything just to have any content to replace the content I was not able to write about the week before. In this way I do feel like I have powers of the flash, but I think I got a few ways to go before I am able to save anybody. 

Cheers,
Matthew Tan

Comments

Popular Posts