Yet another anniversary!

As I like to tell my friends within the army, "Wasted time within wasted time is not wasted time". This meaning that doing something that would normally considered a waste of time in conditions that put you in a disposition to waste time does not create any additional waste in time. For example, playing your phone games (considered by many to be a waste of time) while waiting for your family member (wasting time by default) does not add on to the aggregate of time wastage; you playing your phone game gives no additional negatives.

And thus my point being that doing things within the army that would be considered wasting time suddenly becomes valid, for I find my army period to be a waste of time. Do not take my words to be that of an insult (there are many things that one may do everyday to waste time) and there are merits to being in the army but there are moments when, in a big organisation, you come across some red tape that require a lot of waiting, army being no exception. Thus I am able to invest things that I find a waste of time such as meditation or just learning to enjoy the moment devoid of any mental stimulus. Me not being a fan of doing anything counter productive, it is an interesting (and thus... productive?) to try undergoing activities such as the ones listed just to get used to it, should such red tape occur in other companies that I may be working for in the future.

Over the past year I was able to slow down and 'enjoy the roses' in such cases, learning to enjoy life and reflecting upon what my life has brought to me so far. I have managed to travel a lot, seen and enjoyed different cultures and managed to make friends from all over the world, something that a lot of Singaporeans have never done before. Over the past year I have read many books, taking me across places in the galaxy to places back in time to mystical lands of dragons and goblins. I have stayed in Singapore most of the time, but surely mentally I have gone much further. I have no regrets for this year, but I am happy that it is coming to an end and the anniversary of my blog shows yet again how fast time can travel, especially if you learn to treasure life along the way.

Cheers,
Matthew Tan

Happy Anniversary Blog!

Comments

Popular Posts