New Year's Day

I don't really find the point of New Year's Day/Eve. Time is a social construct to dictate the passing of one point to another. As such I fail to recognise the bearing of reality of one day being more special than the other 363 days. Many take me thus to be a pessimistic, but I find it ignorant of many people to acknowledge for a day for what it truly is and instead believe it to be something that it is not. It does not mean that you cannot celebrate New Year's Day/Eve, it merely means that every other day should be treated the same way as well. You should treat every day as a time to spend time with your friends and family; you must find time every day to pause and reflect about what you have done throughout your life and where your life is going to. Most importantly you should find time to celebrate every day of your life. Of course, it justifies my reason for wanting to stay in bed and sleep past new years, as I wish to do almost every year.

The holiday season sensations for the past two years have been taken away from me as I find the day after Christmas or New Year's Eve still in camp performing guard duty or some other menial task. I attribute it to my patriotism to my country, which although I do not show in spirit I show in action. I have done my tasks without complaint, although this may count as a slight rant.

This year is the year that I finish all my requirements as teenage Singaporean male. I finally finish my National Service term, and I am released back into society to pick up the pieces that I have dropped along the way. My relationships with my friends, my sense of fashion and hopefully my nihilism towards life. Perhaps in university I will find something to do with my life rather than accept its meaninglessness (although I would consider these distractions from the truth). I hope to readjust nicely without having to spend every night reading texts from camp or thinking about what I will be doing in the army the week that proceeds the weekend.

This year holds a lot for me, and as I put 2017 far far far behind in my memories, I look forward to the ones that I may get this year.

Cheers and Happy New Year to all,
Matthew Tan

Comments

Popular Posts