Chess

Dear readers,

It's been quite the grind for the last few days. Work to home to work to home. There's an event coming up that happens on a Saturday, and the staff members have morale dropping with each day that passes; with each day that moves towards the main event. The internship that I work for is a charity, and most of us don't get paid enough for the work we do. Furthermore the board members are always out and about, seemingly not involved in what we are doing. Nevertheless I'm sure that they have things to do, but their lack of participation in our work down on the ground level is disconcerting.

In the office, I have found some ways to diffuse stress, for during our lunch breaks it is just my colleague and I in the office and we get to use the facilities to however we like. The chairs are somewhat comfortable and ergonomic and the computers have good internet so we are able to watch Youtube videos during lunch. When other members are not in and we have nothing to do, I tune into new websites to look at what has been going on in the world as of late which, as it turns out, has not been very good with the recent terrorist attacks in Surabaya, one of my favourite places in Indonesia.

As of late I have recently invested my time more into the study of chess, and I find great joy in learning strong opening techniques and their origins. I'm getting better at the game, for I see the chess board in a much more different light, but I have a score of way of slightly below 1000, and I don't see myself improving when it comes to player-vs-player games until I can find more confidence in my moves and learn not to regret my decisions in the moves.

So far my office term has been quite tiring, but it has not been stressful, which is what few can say about anything in their lives. However I do wonder how people view their lives such that going outside to spend money in waste of your life doing someone else's job is considered "progress and development in your own personal life". Nevertheless since I'm out I have time to talk to my friends over lunch, which is harder to do when you are living in the comforts of your home. So far the best part of my work is that it allows me to fulfill my social commitments with much more ease. Even the salary doesn't even seem worth it!

But the words of Anne Frank keep popping into my head "I trust my luck and do nothing but work, hoping that all will end well" and just like it was her motto for the rest of her life, I suppose it would be for the rest of mine as well.

Cheers,
Matthew Tan

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts