SMU Sports Camp

I have only recently just completed my SMU Sports Camp, the first orientation camp conducted by my university-to-be. Once again I was amazed by the level of excitement and energy that filled the air and the contagious atmosphere that SMU-conducted activities had. The people there are also very friendly and very willing to make friends and to get to know each other. Even after the event, my group still plans to meet quite often, at least for the next few weeks. I plan to join them, as I think my introverted ways has made me a little detached from the outside world, which I don't think is very healthy mentally. 

The sports camp itself was a good workout; over the course of 3 days I tried my hand at 30 different sports, and got to play a few blitz games with one of my group mates, who also turned out to be a fan of chess as well. There was mention of a chess club in SMU, and I sincerely hope that it exists, for I am getting a lot better at chess in recent times. The results for both games I played during the sports camp ended in a draw, one of which was one where my queen was mistaken by tunnel vision and it was quite fortunate that I managed to draw. Nevertheless I was quite happy that I could stand to players who took an interest in chess, although I probably have been doing the same thing online. I do hope to find a group in Singapore, although it still stands that I have not found any yet. 

There were many sports to play that I have not tried before, one of which was a local game called Tchukball, one of the least played games in Singapore. In my opinion the game looks rather stale, with the only satisfaction being able to catch a ball and rebounding it off a net. However I only played it for fifteen minutes or so on a miniature court, so I can't really be a impartial judge. I really hope that it does pick up, for it is a creative game, however it is something that I wouldn't participate in, at least in the current moment. 

An iconic moment during the event would probably the haunted segment, where you were made to think that you were in a speed-dating area to meet other people only to find out that you were trapped in a haunted house instead. Another time would be the beach day, where we spent all day in the sand and sea, enjoying the sunshine (a little too much since I had crazy sunburns at the end of the day). However tired we were at the end of the day, we were all happy that we got to experience such fun activities with such fun people. I hope that other orientation camps are just as fun, although I doubt it. 

Cheers,
Matthew Tan

Comments

Popular Posts