Going into Sage Mode

My brother, who was an avid fan of Naruto, would always talk about how his 'sage mode' was the strongest. As someone who has not watched an anime series in over 2 years, I am unable to make the reference, but today I realised that humans also have their 'sage mode', which proves to be detrimental for many of our mentalities.

Sage mode is what I used to call "Limbo", and this refers to the point in your life where you have nothing but time. This starts to bring a lot of thoughts that people keep busy for such as "what is the meaning of my life?", or simply "what am I doing in my life now that is meaningful?". People at this point seem to think that these thoughts are simply poisonous and at many a time people would keep busy so that they would not have to think about such things. As my friend said in a conversation we held this afternoon (heavily paraphrased) "I'm looking at life as an escape from my mentality".

I think most people need to understand that these questions that come into one's head during your 'sage mode' are simply things that you need to address no matter what, for a life without meaning is a meaningless life. Some find the answers in religion, but if you are unable to do so it may be your subconscious telling you that it is a dissatisfactory answer and your answer lies elsewhere.

Perhaps you may find the answer or perhaps you won't, but it is important that you address it as a question that you would have to find the answer to in the end, and the faster you find it the better your time alone will be.

Time alone is important to relax, reflect and to recover from whatever life throws at you. Instead of trying to keep yourself busy it is important at times to simply lie down and enjoy time as it passes by you. After all, it is only humans that concern themselves with time running out, simply because we are the only creatures that measure it. If other creatures can live happy lives unaware of time, why aren't we entitled to that ignorance every once in a while?

Cheers,
Matthew Tan 

Comments

Popular Posts