A walk through the night

"I think I found my happy place," I said, watching the cars go by "it's probably a farm in New Zealand, where I could wake up, smell the fresh air, feel the cold breeze, see the mountains in the distance and stare at it and go to work."

"Hey me too! I always wanted to wake up to feed the chickens and the cows. It would be so therapeutic. You know I think there was an opportunity available online." She smiled and looked up as she pictured it: "'Do a 6-month internship on a farm'. Can you imagine that! I can't imagine how such an internship would help me find a job."

"Opportunities like these are to help the soul, not your portfolio," I said as I pictured my friend in overalls on a farm. Such a bizarre image "Well if I ever decide to do a mid-career switch I would definitely take them up on that offer". 

"But you have to be under 30 to take that offer, are you telling me you're going to be halfway through your career in 7 years time?"

"Well, you never know. I'm just gonna strike the lotto and the rest will be history. You never know what happens after all"

Some say the best days of your life are when your dreams become reality. I wonder how often people notice how reality becomes dreams past midnight. Past midnight the air becomes less dense with the cool air, and adds a layer of fog that masks reality from fantasy. People spill out their deepest secrets and people commit to their forbidden love during this time, as if everything they have done will not have any repercussions on the reality of the day. "Let not light see my black and deep desires," said Shakespeare.

As I left the subway station I took out my phone to give a call to my mother, hoping that she would give me a lift from the station as the walk home was far and lonely. I thought against it as I was about to dial. My mother says that I've been taking her for granted anyway. I wonder if she would notice that I made an effort not to call her. Probably not since she would be asleep.

It looks like a long walk back for me. I tuned into Spotify and my algorithm decides to play Deep House for me. It seems fitting at this time of night, yet I never thought it would. Seems like Big Brother knows what's better for me than me.

I walked across the bridge, down the road and through an alley that fed into a park, dimly lit by streetlights that were placed every twenty meters away or so. I noticed a dark shadow ahead of me. I know cockroaches come out at night but something of that size had to be some trash traveling in the wind or...

The shadow sat down, and looked up, and I saw the sharp eyes of a cat. It sat right in my way, blocking my path. A black cat crosses my path I mused. As if a long day at school wasn't bad news enough. I wanted to go home early, but projects seemed to have no care for my personal life. My hands were full of project documents and the gym bag I carried with me to school, yet I thought:  fuck it. It's not like I'm getting any sleep anyway. I dropped all the bags and documents I was carrying, unslung my haversack and sat down across the cat. It immediately approached me, seemingly friendly. It purred as I scratched its head and lifted its hind legs as I stroked its body. Every so often it nudged its nose on my knees.

It's midnight. I just had a weird yet entertaining conversation with a friend I only meet once a week at this time. Deep House Music is playing through my earphones and here I am with my stuff on the floor on an alley playing with a black cat.

I wondered if this was some deep allegory of life telling me that I should have fun with every black cat that crosses my path, or simply that my life should be played in all movie theatres because it was clearly some twisted comedy.



Comments

Popular Posts