A series of unfortunate events

The start of the new year has not been very kind to me with both my paternal grandfather and my maternal grandmother in hospital for independently serious cases. My paternal grandfather is not well but recovering quite well, while my maternal grandmother is well but her condition could be quite serious. I would enjoy the irony of both cases if they were hypothetical, but alas they are not.

Other than that my life is really quite fine. My projects do not pick up until the second half of the term and I find myself freer than two semesters ago since I have decided to take fewer classes. It seems that it was only last semester that I found myself taking fewer classes but being busier than ever. I feel a slight tinge of regret upon realizing that I could have taken another class or at least picked up a CCA, but I really do enjoy the free time that I have at the moment. That being said, I am thinking of taking up golf purely for recreation. I think that would be quite fun for me to do. At least I could say that this year marks the year that I picked up a new sport.

I do have a lot of good ideas for new stories to practice my writing, but I have been enjoying my free time in different ways. I have been reading intensively with three books left in the queue. As I am quite excited to tackle one on "philosophy in a zombie apocalypse", I have been trying to read the current book as quickly as possible, which is Margret Atwood's 35 years later sequel to "The Handmaid's Tale". Atwood's "Testaments" is a much more enjoyable read than her prequel, but I don't find the story inspiring to my external real-life environment to earn a Booker prize. Then again, perhaps their metric for a good book may be things such as character development of which the book goes in-depth about that, although Atwood's characters are usually the same solemn figure who always thinks one way but says the other.

I am going to visit my grandmother today in the hospital, but for some sick reason, I do find that my time could be better spent doing work or investing in myself for the future. I do wish to get rid of that disgusting self-centered capitalist thinking out of my head. Perhaps this is the moment to do so. Life is more than academics and looking good on a piece of paper for a better chance of employment... right?

Comments

Popular Posts