An Update about the Life, Universe and Everything (Pretty sure I've used this title before)

 Dear readers,

By now my inactivity has probably cost me all readership on this blog, although at disappointing times like these I remind myself that the purpose of writing is more for myself rather than others and that parties that would be interested to read about the ups and downs of my life simply serves as a surplus. 

The past year or so has been quite hectic, and to be honest I'd be nice if I didn't have to recall them at all. I'm sure the bullet-point summaries listed below would tell you why:

  • After two stressful semesters, I'm finally finished with university and have unofficially graduated
  • After 14 months, I have ended my relationship and have reverted back to being single 
    • It was a relationship riddled with learning points, by which I mean painful moments created by my own negligence of my own feelings 
  • As of the past few weeks I've had a chance to reflect on what I want in this life. From work, to joys and luxuries to the basic staples. Although not really depressing, I've reflected on this with a very melancholy heart as I realized that I probably can't do everything I want in this world; there simply isn't enough time.
  • I've had another painful lesson which gave me the opportunity to reevaluate my relationship with other people, and when to draw some boundaries between myself and the rest of the world.
Oh and lastly, recently I contracted COVID-19, which at this point is to be expected considering that I dodged the virus for the last two years or so, but I'm looking forward to going back to the outside world when all this is over. Of course, I like to see adversity in terms of lessons and opportunities, and the illness definitely gave me the opportunity to revisit this blog again. I've been posting for the past seven years, and I'd be damned if I see it disappear because of one tiny relationship/university/soul searching period.

Looking forward, I'll be working with Shopee as a Product Manager, the job of my original interest when I first heard about it in my first internship as a university student. I'm definitely excited, and will be looking forward to where the next phase of life will take me. 

I hope to continue to post frequently on this blog. I'm hoping that work will actually give me more free time in comparison to university (university was quite stressful at times), and I do hope that it will give me more time to reflect on life, my goals and my progression, not only professionally but emotionally and financially as I continue to make my way in this wild, dangerous, crazy world that we live in.

Cheers,
Matthew Tan 


 

Comments

Popular Posts