The Jakarta Globe Run


Since Friday marked the end of the the term for the year, I decided to use this holiday to start posting on this website more frequently. However, I will not betray my "New Post Every Tuesday!" policy and will continue to upload weekly. However, there may be instances where more than one post will be uploaded.

Today was the day of my first five kilometre run. I am quite ashamed to say that I have never ran five kilometres before, despite being fifteen. Over the years, I have noticed myself changing since the start of puberty. I am growing at a unprecedented rate in height and as a result all the flab that I have grown used to has slowly faded away. I feel stronger and can run faster than ever before.

It was then that my dad decided to sign me up for this race as a way to test my new profound strength and endurance. He had registered the whole family as well. He has a vision of a family active in sports and leaving very productive lives, similar to what all fathers hope for. Being away most of the time, he tries his hardest to try to spend time with us, a trait I really admire about him. When it comes to sports, he likes to include us as well as a way to kill two birds with one stone, to spend time with us and do sports as well.

Overexcited, my dad decided to wake us up early as he is always aware of the way my brother tends to procrastinate. However he may have been a little early as we reached there an hour or so before the event.

Because Indonesians tend to be a little slow mentally, perhaps due to the lack of education (about 50% of the citizens in Indonesia only possess a primary education,) the race began an hour late as well, much to the dissatisfaction of the participants.

The route was easily comprehensible, although we had to cut through the main road. I found this rather unusual as not only would you be disturbing the passengers in the car trying to get from place to place, you would also disrupt the running pace of the participants. The jam created from this was astounding.

I managed to keep up the pace halfway throughout the run but had to do a mixture of running and walking for the next ones. I was still happy to say that I was ahead of my other family members.

Finally I managed to finish the race in about twenty five to thirty minutes- four minutes before my other family members. I am very happy to say that I have managed to finish the five kilometre run and will be looking forward to the next one as it was not as intimidating as I feared.

Comments

Popular Posts