The Upside of Irrationality

I wish to all my readers Happy Valentine's Day. It is one of the many holidays I do not celebrate due to the Asian culture and due to the fact that I have nobody to spend it with. I am not unhappy to not be able to celebrate this holiday as I have the tendency to refer to love and relationships as being trapped in the metaphorical cage of commitment or, to be a little more elaborate, a prison.

Not wishing to digress any further than I already have, I wish to talk to you about a book I have just finished. I feel especially happy for finishing the book as I never fail to misplace the book whenever bringing it around the house due to its small size.

However, the book is called "The Upside of Irrationality" and is written by Dan Ariely. I bought the book shortly after reading his previous release, "Predictably Irrational". I was expecting him to write at the same level of ingenuity and skill as he had before. However, I do not think this is so. In this book, he had the tendency to write and elaborate extensively on a topic that can be easily discernible, at least in my perspective. Instead of moving on to the next part of his book (ie another of his research results), he writes pages more of what is necessary, a trait I found slightly annoying. However it may be only in my perspective and another might find that the amount of writing put into a particular chapter explaining his results was appropriate.


I also found the layout of the book a little inappropriate as the text itself was too small (however that could just depend on the type of book I bought, a bigger version would surely contain bigger text). There were times when he stopped midway in his sentence to include a page on a case study, a trait I found a little disrupting. (However the case studies were informative and slightly amusing.). Nevertheless the case studies had to occupy a page and was inevitably going to interrupt a sentence. However I'm sure that there could have been a better alternative to that.

Nevertheless the book was informative and I would like to congratulate Dan Ariely on another job well done (although not as good as his previous book, in my opinion) and wish him the best of luck in the next books to follow. Well done.

And for my readers, I once again wish you a Happy Valentine's Day

Comments

Popular Posts