Halloween

What does one do during the Mid-Term school holidays and during Halloween? What could one do to ensure that he or she has used her time in the most efficient way? In my case the answer is always simple: Study of course.

My Asian background has given me the illusion (or perception) that Halloween is not a holiday worth celebrating. In my eyes, it is just a day that a society has invented in order to make a special day out of something ordinary and although this is an event that is needed to upkeep overall human morale, I find no enjoyment out of dressing up as something I do not believe exists and exploiting candy from other members who celebrate this event. Although rather "geeky" of me, I prefer to utilise this time studying instead. Study and education is an investment; the more I put in, the more I get out. And that is what I did instead.

I can't say I regretted what I've done, for it is something that has brought me ahead of my other peers, who keep wondering how I manage to stay on top and although they do study, I doubt that they have the form of motivation and will to study as myself, else they would be able to be at the same intellectual level as me. Although I do enjoy recreation from time to time, one must never stray from the fact that education will carry you far, while an excess in recreation will hold you back. Therefore one should never stop studying; keep pushing forward.

On a more optimistic note, I wish that all my readers enjoy their personal Halloween celebration, for it is America's (and any other country celebrating's) way of remembering the departed, who's deeds will always stay in our hearts (This is the period to remember the dead after all). For myself, I say hello once again to the grandmother whom I've never had the chance to meet, and the great-grandmother, who's presence has changed my life forever. May your soul rest in peace.



Cheers,
Matthew Tan

Comments

Popular Posts