Friendship

Being bullied as a child, I suffered from self esteem issues and thus have a trouble in handling jokes that were made about me by my friends, even if they didn't mean it. One of the most hurtful things that I mostly experience  from my friends now is when people compare me with my brothers, although I know they didn't mean it. It was for this reason that I usually turn to friends of the opposite sex, who rarely do the same to me. Although I stress that some still do, thus the word rarely.

It troubles me sometimes yet comforts me in other times that many of my closest friends are those of the opposite sex and it is usually those friends that I turn to in times of emotional stress, when the past finds its way back to the present in my head or when I am suffering from any insecurities. Obviously, I refrain from telling it to my same-sex friends as they tend to tell other people, or offer advice that really doesn't help. It is not common to once again receive those comments belittling me on some issues that I need help in that although help from time to time in making me laugh, fail to have any significant impact on my actions.

There are a few friends that I hold very dear to me (as feminine as that sounds) that I would like to dedicate this post to. Some are fellow readers to this blog, and some are not. However, for those who do read this blog know that this post is for you. I thank you for being there when I am down, for pulling me up when I am weak and for making me laugh when I am sad.

"I thank you for being there for me,
If not then I wouldn't know where I'd be.
Whenever you feel that you need me too,
Just know that I'll always be there for you"
~Short impromptu poem by yours truly



Cheers,
Matthew Tan

Comments

Popular Posts