Me and the opposite sex

This is one topic which is one the more personal things to me, and I mention the opposite sex quite a few times in many of my other blog posts. It was only today that I found out the reason for my deep fascination, much more potent than many of the other guys, for the opposite sex (as creepy as that sounds).

I realised that this fascination started with me reading the comic series called "Archie". It depicts the story of a typical American jock who is obsessed about girls. With his characteristics regarded by many as 'cute' by many of the opposite sex, he is constantly chased around and he loves it so. However many girls there are in his life, there are only two that are repeatedly in almost every comic story. This was Betty Cooper, who was regarded as the sunshine and the innocent girl next door, and Veronica Lodge, who plays the foxy, sexy night time girl. Betty is the one to wait around for Archie for as long as it takes for him to realise that she is the one while Veronica will wait for as long as there is another person more attractive than Archie before leaving him, but will always come back for Archie for the sole purpose of not giving Betty the satisfaction of winning.

Of course, based on this you could probably tell that this was regarded as my childhood obsession. I loved the trivia that came with it and could argue for hours on end what the real name of a character is.

So of course, I based myself on Archie upon arrival to Jakarta, which was the first co-ed, international school that I attended. Like Archie, I would look out for visually attractive girls and would enjoy it when it came to girls fighting over me. Let's say that I wasn't really a gentleman over there like I am now (obviously). Whether or not this was objectifying women is still up for debate. Archie does tend to look at personality as well... to some extent.

In retrospect, I don't think that Archie was the best person to create an image after. He was not very good at academics and did not have a long lasting relationship. The only thing that he had going for him was that he never aged, and was perpetually living under the care of his parents.

My time in Indonesia was a very... interesting one, but I have made the resolution to be more of a gentleman when I came back to Singapore. Definitely an embarrassing but very interesting experience.



Cheers,
Matthew Tan

Comments

Popular Posts