Work!

I just realised that I haven't posted in over two weeks. My apologies. Time just seems to be immaterial now as there seems to be no significance in remembering the day. With every day that passes my game progresses a little more, my book a little closer to being finished and me being a little bit closer to finishing the book I am writing, but the names of the day itself don't matter much, until recently.

I finally landed a job as a waiter in a cafe in Singapore called Hatched. The place itself belonging to a friend of a friend, it was easy to land a job there. I thought that perhaps having a job would bring a little bit more purpose into my life while earning a bit more money, and I immediately took the job. What a mistake that was.

I'm not ungrateful for landing a job, but sometimes I knew what I was wishing for. Perhaps it was due to a lazy attitude, but the trade-off of my time to work seemed much more painful to me than I thought it was. As a waiter, you are unable to sit down for the sake of your image of being on duty and many of my shifts involve me spending 6 hours standing straight. For the whole of the day after, my feet would be sore from standing, and my arch in my leg on the point of collapse. I haven't been paid yet, but I do hope the satisfaction of being paid is worth the job.

I suppose the reason my job is boring is partly due to me being unable to use my head. There's no need to memorise the menu, and the work is brain dead easy. Many a time I do simple mathematics to pass the time when there's a lull in between peak hours. Now it would just be brain teasers or riddles that I'll be sure to memorise next time.

If you do have time in Singapore come visit me! Make my job a little bit more fun! Nothing's more flattering than being able to see my readers in person after all.





Cheers,
Matthew Tan

Comments

Popular Posts