After 5 months, I'm finally back

After five months of intensive grueling training and completely brain-numbing exercises, I have finally finished my course as a trainee and have been finally indoctrinated into the battalion (of which division I would not like to disclose at the moment) as a combat engineer. The role of a combat engineer is one that is both technical and physically demanding, something which I find great pride in doing as it challenges both the mind and body. Finally I have reached the end of my training life, and I have been finally been deemed qualified to embark on military operations, as classified as they may be. As illustrated from my repetition of the word 'finally' you could probably perceive that I have been waiting for this day for a long time and indeed I have since my enlistment. I hope to be treated with a little more respect, and to be able to talk to my commanders as friends instead of having a professional relationship as the former.

There are many stories of the army that I would like to share and remember, and since I have been given a day off for my hard work on monday, I will try to begin now before these memories fade into oblivion. I have changed a lot as a person, mentally and physically and in many ways I would never have expected. When I enlisted I prayed that I would never have to remember these trying times for the rest of my life, but little did I realise that they would be the most interesting, if not precious, memories of my life. I have made different friends from different walks of life. From men who have dropped out of secondary school to take care of his child, to those going off to university overseas, some of which are already writing for famous literary blogs all over the world.

So within the past few days I will try and remember as much as I can about my days in the army, starting from the day of my enlistment all the way to the five months. As you may expect, there is much to go through, and I don't have much time for it. But I will try my very best to deliver the content that my readers visit this blog for, and in doing so hope to clear my anxiety of being in NS and my anxiety towards writing on this blog (the past five months have not been kind to me). Of course, it will not be weekly, so try and update yourself on the contents of the blog whenever you can. It may be in bursts over the weekend, or small trinklets on the weekdays. Whatever it is I hope to continue my communication with my readers, now until I finish my army life and even further then.

Image result for army field camp
Yes there are days that I have looked like this, and if not, felt like this.

Cheers,
Matthew Tan


Comments

Popular Posts